Lovely Organic Aubergine from Spain.
With their deep purple skin and silky soft flesh, aubergines are one of our favourite vegetables. They are incredibly versatile and we use them in many different dishes. Aubergines are a good source of fibre, vitamins and minerals, most notably the antioxidant anthocyanin which is present in all purple fruits and vegetables.
- Make a smokey dip! Cook whole on a BBQ or grill until the skin is burnt and smokey and the flesh is silky soft. Peel off as much of the skin as you can and blend the flesh with a little fresh garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice, a spoon of tahini and some extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt and enjoy this baba ganoush with flat breads or as part of a mezze spread. Especially good with some tangy little pomegranate seeds on top!
- Curries! Aubergine is fantastic in Indian style curries. Simmer with red lentils and spices to make an aubergine dal or sauté with onion, garlic, ginger, tomatoes and garam masala to make a classic brinjal bhaji.
- Make aubergine involtini! Grill in long slices, roll with some pesto and ricotta (you can make vegan ricotta with tofu or nuts) and bake the rolls tucked in a rich tomato sauce.
- Roast! Cut the aubergine in half lengthways, score and season, smear with chermoula paste (a mix of garlic, chilli, preserved lemon, smoked paprika, cumin and coriander) and roast until soft. Serve with cooling natural yogurt and middle eastern style breads and salads.
- Make a moussaka! Layer slices of grilled or fried aubergine, with béchamel and lentil ragu spiked with Greek herbs. Finish with a layer of béchamel and bake until bubbling.