Broccoli Purple Sprouting, IRISH, 300g
Purple Sprouting Broccoli from our Farm.
A late Winter, early Spring, seasonal star. Eat the leaves and the stalks as well as the beautiful purple flower buds. Just trim away any particularly woody ends of the stalks and compost. Purple sprouting broccoli is incredibly nutritious. Packed full of dietary fibre and nutrients it is a particularly good source of vitamins A, B and C, carotenoids, folic acid, calcium and iron.
- Purple sprouting broccoli (PSB), like regular broccoli, can be roasted, steamed, boiled or fried as a gorgeous, dark green, leafy side dish.
- It's absolutely brilliant paired with citrus and nuts. Toss the chopped PSB with olive oil, salt and pepper in a roasting dish (add optional chopped garlic and chilli). Add a halved lemon or orange to the pan and roast for 10 minutes or until the PSB is nearly tender. Add a sprinkle of nuts or seeds and return to the oven to finish cooking the PSB and toast the nuts/seeds. Serve as a warm salad with some drained and rinsed chickpeas or butterbeans, squeeze the roasted lemon/orange over the dish as a dressing. Simple!
- Add to pasta or risotto after sautéing it with plenty of peppery olive oil and garlic.
- Lightly steam until par-cooked and add to quiches, pies, tarts and frittatas.
- PSB works well in stir fries. Thinly slice and add to the wok with ginger, garlic, chilli, sesame oil and soy sauce. Finish with sesame seeds and serve with rice or noodles.