Brussels Sprouts, IRISH, 400g
Lovely Organic Brussels Sprouts from Ireland.
Brussels sprouts are not just for Christmas! They are a hardy and delicious winter brassica and well worth including in your shopping basket whenever they are in season. Just don't boil them for too long please! Sprouts are extremely high in vitamin K, vitamin C and antioxidants so a valuable addition to your winter diet.
- To prepare the sprouts, simple slice off the end that was attached to the stalk of the plant and peel off any outer layers that look like they need to go in the compost bin. Give them a quick rinse and they are ready to cook in numerous dishes. Whatever you do, just don't boil them to death! Like all brassicas, they go a little sulphurous after being boiled too long.
- Cut them in half and toss them in a roasting dish with a little oil, salt, pepper, chilli flakes, rosemary leaves and some lemon or orange wedges. Roast in a hot oven for 20 minutes or until soft and just starting to caramelise. Serve as a side or stir through cooked pasta or rice with some toasted nuts or seeds.
- Shred in a food processor with the slicing attachment and eat raw. You can mix them with grated carrot, beetroot and mayonnaise for a colourful, crunchy sprout 'slaw or they work very well in a toasted sesame oil, lime and soy sauce dressing served with noodles.
- Simply boil until bright green and just tender and toss with a good oil or melted butter as a side dish.
- Slice them into thin slivers or wedges and add to pizza toppings, tarts or quiches.