Leeks, IRISH, 2pc
Lovely Fresh Organic New Season Leeks from our Farm.
Sweeter than onions and nutrient dense, leeks are a great source of dietary fibre, vitamins A, C, E and K, flavonoids, iron and manganese. The darker, green tops are not quite as tender as the white parts so either cook them a little longer or slice them finer, but whatever you do, don't throw them away, they are full of flavour! To clean them quickly, slice them in half lengthways, then run them under a tap getting into each layer to rinse out any mud. Then cut them to size and sauté or roast.
- Try this Leek and Thyme Tarte Tatin. It really showcases the beauty of leeks and the flavour combination of leek, thyme and vinegar is an unmissable classic.
- Slice into long, thin strips and add to your stir fry with a splash of shoyu.
- Simmer with potatoes and blend into a classic leek and potato soup.
- Leeks go well with creamy or cheesy dishes. Try and creamy mushroom and leek pie or a leek quiche.
- Treat them like calçots and try them charred on a grill or BBQ then eat them with a rich and nutty romesco sauce. Blend roasted red peppers with toasted almonds, garlic, sherry vinegar, smoked paprika and olive oil. Season with salt, dunk the charred leeks into this wonderful sauce and devour with some good bread to mop up the juices.
- Serve sautéed leeks with a simple vinaigrette, butter beans, toasted walnuts and fresh tarragon as a light meal with good bread and a glass of white wine.