Pasta with Lentil Ragu
This lentil ragu is a firm family favourite. It’s quick and easy to make, full of flavour and nutrition (lentils are a powerhouse of fibre, protein, potassium, iron and folate) and it can be frozen in portions to use on busy days. We use this as a ‘base’ recipe but often add or switch the vegetables with the seasons. For example, the carrots can be swapped with swede, beetroot or squash, the mushrooms could be replaced with aubergine or crumbled walnuts. We usually stir it through pasta or layer it up in a lasagne but it also makes a great cottage pie when topped with mash and baked.
You can also tweak the seasoning and turn this Italian-style ragu into a Tex-Mex-style chilli non-carne! Just use chilli, cumin, coriander, bay, oregano and smoked paprika in place of the herbs, and add a drained tin of kidney beans and peppers to the mix too. This adaptable lentil ragu recipe is just thing to add to your repertoire for hearty family meals.
*Click the 'Buy Now' button to easily add the main ingredients to your cart. We have left off pantry staples like salt, pepper, herbs, olive oil etc, so if you need those, be sure to add them to your order before you checkout. You can also easily remove unwanted items from your cart before you checkout too.
Ingredients (serves 4-5 people)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced
- 4 cloves of garlic, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 3 sticks of celery, diced
- approx 10 chestnut mushrooms, diced
- 1x 400g tin of chopped tomatoes
- 1x 400g tin of green lentils, drained
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp each: fennel seeds, thyme and oregano
- optional splash of red wine
- salt and pepper to taste (roughly a tsp of each)
- pasta to serve (100g dried weight per person) we stock a range of organic wheat, wholegrain and gluten free varieties