RECIPE: Roasted butternut squash stuffed with spinach, veg, quinoa, feta and cashews.
Congratulations to Orla McDermot who won this week's Recipe competition! The featured ingredient was spinach and she made a lovely meatfree dish that looks and tastes amazing!
>> For more great recipes, you can join our new Healthy Eating group on Facebook! Click here to join!
RECIPE: Roasted butternut squash stuffed with spinach, veg, quinoa, feta and cashews
- 1 x butternut squash, sliced lengthways in half, seeds removed
- 1 x bulb of garlic (optional)
- Thyme (fresh or dried)
- Basil (fresh or dried)
- Vegetables of choice (e.g tomatoes, courgettes, peppers, spring onions, spinach, kale etc)
- 125g quinoa
- Red pesto
- Handful of cashew nuts, chopped
- 25g feta, crumbled
- Preheat oven to 190c fan
- Score each squash half with a sharp knife, place in an ovenproof dish, drizzle with olive oil, season and sprinkle with thyme (fresh or dried)
- Roast butternut squash in the oven for 30-40 mins until soft
- Optional addition: Slice the top off a bulb of garlic, wrap in tin foil and place top down in the oven dish with the squash
- Chop the organic vegetables and sauté for a few minutes in a pan with some garlic and basil to soften.
- Place a cup of quinoa in a pan with 1 3/4 cup of water and bring to the boil. Simmer for 5-10 mins until water is absorbed. Place a kitchen towel over under the lid of the pan and leave for 5 minutes. Stir a generous spoon of red pesto through the quinoa and add to the softened veg in a large bowl
- Remove squash from oven, scoop out the flesh leaving the skin of each half intact, add to quinoa and veg bowl. Add chopped cashews, crumbled feta (and roasted garlic) stir thoroughly
- Stuff squash skins with mixture and place back in the over for 10 minutes, remove and serve!